109 E. Spring Street, Fuquay Varina, NC
Historical Landmark built in 1910, located in the Fuquay Springs Historic District in Fuquay-Varina, home of Brean & Anna Campbell
This two-story residence was built around 1910 by James D. “Squire” Ballentine, one of the early civic and business leaders of the Fuquay Springs community.
This is a well preserved late Queen Anne style house with Colonial Revival details. According to Ms. Melinda Coleman, “It is one of the most substantial houses in the Fuquay Springs Historic District. The house was added to the National Register study list in 1990 and is one of the finest examples of its period and style to survive in Fuquay-Varina.”
This was one of the first residences in town to have indoor plumbing and electricity.
The house stands on a .5 acre tract of land. It has 3,400 square feet of living area in 12 rooms including five bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, formal dining room, sitting room, parlor, library, and large center hall that is being used as a family room.
The top level of the house retains the original tin shingle roof from 1910.
In 1999 a portion of the rear porch was enclosed to enlarge the downstairs bathroom to include space for a washer and dryer. The exterior clapboard, trim and window sash were reused where possible.
The wrap around porch roof was updated in 2010 to a modern style shingle.
A simple white hand rail similar to the front balcony handrail was installed along the front steps in 2014.
The original 1910 tin roof of the home was replaced in summer 2015 due to extensive leaking.
Brand new white half-round gutters were installed around the first and second levels to help preserve the original wood exterior of the home in fall 2015.
A brand new wood stove insert has been installed into the old library coal fireplace and is working beautifully as of winter 2015.
The owners and curators of the Ballentine-Spence House are Brean and Anna Campbell.